If you're looking for a few easy projects to that people would love to buy for their homes then here are 5 worth checking out.
About two miles from my house there is a little family restaurant on the corner. Its right in the middle of a rural area so there's not much else around. It happens to be a major tourist stop for many people visiting the area and its packed, year around.
The most interesting thing about this restaurant is the gift shop, which isn't really a gift shop as much as it is a plethora of arts and crafts from the locals on display for sale here and there. Outside there is a whole section or birdhouses perched on a big dead tree branch. There are various hand painted wooden signs and some driftwood mobile wind chimes.
Every time I go in there I think about trying out making some things to sell there for some extra income. So I looked around online and came up with 5 easy to build things that I see other woodworkers making and selling.
- Coat bars. One thin piece of wood at any length with nice routered edges, a beautiful finish and various styles of hooks screwed in. Quick and inexpensive to build and it doesn't require much skill.
- Birdhouses. Believe it or not, the birdhouses at this place sell from $40 to $80 dollars. Here is access to buy 15 birdhouse plans.
- Shelves. Here's a link to 40 different shelf ideas to get you started.
- Little boxes. Boxes are a little more complicated than the first three, but not if you know what to do. This video shows how to turn little acorn boxes on a lathe. Here's a great resource for building all kinds of little wooden boxes.
- Natural wooden candle holders. Find and dry out some tree branches of various diameters, cut to desired length/height and use a drill press and Forstner bit to hollow out a space for the candle.
Again, you don't have to be a master craftsman to build beautiful and useful things out of wood to sell for a profit while you hone your skills.
You don't have to be a professional to start your own woodworking business from home. See how others are doing it and start today!
Even if you have no carpentry or woodworking experience whatsoever, these plans could have you building stunning sheds in a weekend. Contractors charge thousands to build sheds like these!